PRINCIPLES OF PRACTICE
– the woman should feel supported & informed.
– the woman takes charge of her pregnancy in collaboration with her midwife.
– the woman can eat & drink during labor.
– instinctual movements & positions are encouraged in labor.
– IV fluids are not routinely needed.
– membranes are not routinely ruptured.
– protecting the perineum from tearing is vigilantly observed.
– the cord should be allowed to pulsate without interruption.
– holding the baby uninterrupted is beneficial for mother and baby.